mary ann christie burnside, founder, the mindfulness studio
about the mindfulness studio
the mindfulness studio is a place where people of all ages can come to relax a little and learn a lot. Mary Ann Christie Burnside, Ed.D., created the mindfulness studio to share timeless teachings about health and happy-ness in ways that reflect and balance modern day stress and busy-ness. The studio, which is the first of its kind in the Northeast US, offers a variety of mindfulness programs for adults and children, including weekly classes, after school clubs, family hour, monthly programs, retreat days, seasonal events, private sessions and individualized coaching.
the mindfulness studio limits group programs to 12 attendees, so your experience here will always be personal, spacious and cozy.
a bit about mindfulness
As you probably know, life is a glorious mess. You may not know that we usually make it worse by struggling against what is, or by striving for things to be other than they are. The good news is things are often more workable than they seem, and we are capable of more than we think. Mindfulness is a kind of skillfulness we practice, over and over, to become more at ease with things as they are. It’s a quality of attention and particular habits of mind, speech and behavior that cultivate this attention, leading to insight, well-being and real happiness.
Mindfulness is for every body and it's probably not what you think. With practice, it really makes a difference to health, well-being and to the overall quality of everyday life. One of the hardest things about getting started with mindfulness is actually getting started. Practicing with a group helps. Come to the studio and start with us.
studio hours, summer 2016
during the summer months, the studio is open for special events and private/semi-private sessions by appointment.
please call, email or visit studio's Facebook page for most up to date information:
Phone (978) 254-5105
Facebook page www.facebook.com/themindfulnessstudio/
- Pre-paid programs, groups and classes are not refundable, though you can transfer your seat to a friend or loved one (they will thank you).
- Full fee is due for missed private sessions without 24-hour notice.
- Mary Ann is an educator. She is not a psychologist and does not provide therapy or offer clinical services.
a bit about mary ann
Mary Ann has a gift for educating people who wish to cultivate innate capacities for awareness, compassion, wisdom, kindness, resilience and more. Her distinctive teaching style and the content she shares offer skills-based education for the heart, mind, body and soul. Good for all parts of you!
Mary Ann brings warmth, passion and over 20 years of experience working with clients of all ages and life stages. Her extensive training includes:
- A doctorate in Human Development and Psychology, Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Professional training as a Relational Life coach, Terry Real's Relational Life Institute
- Ongoing trainings in mindfulness and yoga for adults and children (e.g., Kripalu, Omega, Omega NYC, Garrison Institute, UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center, Mindful Schools, Little Flower Yoga, Kidding Around Yoga, Barre Center for Buddhist Studies, Center for Mindful Self-Compassion, MBSR, MBSR-T, Shambhala Meditation Center of Boston, Cambridge Insight Meditation Center, Insight Meditation Society)
- Hospice volunteer, Care Dimensions
- Formation as a spiritual director (Bethany House) which is a unique form of companioning that emphasizes hospitality, deep listening and living in right relationship to the benefit of yourself and others.
Mary Ann, who has studied and practiced mindfulness since 2003, left academia in 2007 to pursue a private teaching career in and around her community. After 8 years of teaching in a diverse collection of rented spaces, she created the mindfulness studio, a dedicated place for education and practice. In addition to her work at the studio, Mary Ann continues to provide onsite training in public and private schools, corporations and health and human service settings and regularly participates in public speaking events, including Concord's first TEDx Walden Pond 1.0 in 2012.
She enjoys writing about mindfulness and is currently working on her first two books, one for adults and one for children. In 2015, Mary Ann released "Mindfulness in A Box (Vol 1)," which you review here.
the mindfulness studio is located at 45 Walden St in the heart of Concord Center. 1st floor at the end of the narrow walkway.